Monday 1 December 2014

Continuity in Modern Life - Annoying or Genius?


I have always been an Apple fan, ever since I first owned a Power PC many years ago. Even when I got my first Power PC, it was out of date and if I remember correctly it was OS X 10.5 which is crazy old now.
Between my current Yosemite 10.10.1 system and my OS X 10.5, I also owned a Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 system shortly after. My last laptop before this one was actually a Windows 8.1 system, great OS and machine but I must say that the OS X has really nailed it with Yosemite.

I love the system its a great piece of engineering from Apple, but the feature that has been the most hyped and the one that has stood out to me has to be the Continuity. Although it is only really useful if you own another Apple device it has some very useful features.

Genius?
The best features to the Continuity is the ability to sit on the toilet away from your MacBook, and still read the article you were reading. We have all found ourselves reading an article and about half way through you have needed the toilet, the phrase ''do I finish reading or not?'' usually comes to mind. With the new feature from Apple, it is now possible to walk away and have that number two while having that excellent reading material.
Another great feature is the ability to text while you are away from your iPhone, have you ever had that annoying person that just keeps texting? Now you can open the Messages app in the background and no longer hear that constant buzz coming from your silent phone. I admit though it is great, when you get a text message that you want to reply to about a meet up but do not want to come away from Angry Birds or Candy Crush.
Another great feature I have noticed is you can now answer ordinary phone calls on your Mac, this is great for the busy working person. To be able to answer the call with just one click and carry on working.



Annoying?
For the annoying argument, I have found that one very annoying thing about the whole continuity is that if you have not switched it off like me, you will find that when someone rings you on your iPhone, it will ring on ALL of your devices. This is very annoying if you have 3+ devices like me and a few of my house mates. Although if you decline it on one device then you no longer have the ringing on the others even though I have noticed the slight delay of it still ringing on my iPad even after I have already started speaking.

This is all something that I have not seen before, even though I have heard about the Android users having this feature for a while now, Continuity is a new Yosemite feature although some of the features are just sped up Mavericks features, like the ability to continue reading the same web page on your iPad from your Macbook, that was already available for Mavericks but they have made it faster and more reliable. Not to mention prettier to look at.



I have seen this ability been advertised on the Windows format though for Windows 10, and it looks really good for them too. Although it was advertised for Windows first and didn't actually kick off until after Apple had already installed it. Windows 10 plans to use this feature over their Surface, Desktop/Laptop and Mobile formats calling it 'One Windows'.



Do you think this is a feature that is no longer THAT useful? or Do you think its genius that needs more features? What features? Comment below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment